Whitsunday Coast Galleries and Museums Directory
Be the first to advertise in Whitsunday Coast Galleries and Museums Directory!
We are developing coast.whitsundays.guide for you and early supporters can secure top of category and page one spots! If you would like to create a listing in Whitsunday Coast for your Business or Community Group first Create an Account
Replace this Ad with your content, Your listing updates this entire page!
View an example. Consider what Category might you list in? Do we have it?
Do you like the Galleries and Museums in Whitsunday Coast?
Whitsunday Coast Galleries and Museums
Whitsunday Coast in Queensland, Australia, is a beautiful region with plenty to explore. From pristine beaches and national parks to rich cultural attractions, there's something for everyone here. One of the best ways to immerse oneself in the history and culture of the area is by visiting its galleries, museums, and historical venues. In this article, we'll explore some of the best options for art and history buffs in and around the Whitsunday Coast.
1. Whitsunday Art Gallery: Located in Airlie Beach, this gallery showcases the works of local artists in various mediums, including painting, sculpture, and photography. The displays change regularly, so there's always something new to see. The gallery is open Monday to Friday and Sunday, and admission is free.
2. Proserpine Art Gallery: This community-run art gallery in Proserpine features exhibitions by local and visiting artists. The space is housed in a building that dates back to 1909 and has been lovingly restored. The gallery is open Monday to Friday, and admission is free.
3. Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA): While not strictly in the Whitsunday Coast region, the GOMA is worth a day trip for art enthusiasts. Located in the South Bank precinct of Brisbane, the gallery features contemporary art from around the world. Admission is free, and the gallery is open every day except Christmas Day and Good Friday.
1. Bowen Historical Society Museum: This small museum in Bowen showcases the history and heritage of the town and surrounding area. The exhibits include photographs, artifacts, and memorabilia from the town's early days. The museum is open Wednesday to Sunday, and admission is $5 for adults.
2. Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens: Although primarily a botanic garden, this destination in Mackay also includes a small museum that tells the story of the region's flora and fauna. The displays include specimens of local plants and animals, and there is a focus on sustainability and conservation. The museum is open every day, and admission is free.
3. Sarina District Historical Centre: This museum in Sarina features exhibits on the history of the sugar industry in the Mackay region, as well as displays on local Indigenous culture and the area's maritime history. The museum is open Wednesday to Sunday, and admission is $7 for adults.
1. Conway National Park: While not a museum or gallery, this park in Airlie Beach is worth a visit for its rich historical significance. The park includes remnants of the Whitsunday's first settlers, including old farmhouses, sawmills, and even a sugar mill. There are also walking tracks and lookouts that provide stunning views of the rainforest and coastline.
2. Cape Hillsborough National Park: Located about an hour north of Mackay, this park features stunning beaches, rainforest, and rugged cliffs. The area has significant cultural importance to the local Yuibera and Yuwibara people, and visitors can learn about their culture and traditions at the park's education centre.
3. The Big Mango: Although not steeped in history like some of the other destinations on this list, the Big Mango in Bowen has become a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. The giant fruit sculpture serves as a quirky symbol of the Queensland mango-growing industry, and there is a photo opportunity for visitors.
The Whitsunday Coast region offers a wealth of cultural destinations for visitors. From art galleries and museums to historic venues, there's something for everyone here. Be sure to plan your itinerary and make time to explore all that this beautiful part of Australia has to offer.
Whitsunday Coast Galleries and Museums Articles